Thursday, March 10, 2016

4 Things You Should Never Say to Someone on a Weight Loss Journey

Ever since I started my fitness journey, I started getting all kinds of advice from bystanders. Some of it was good advice, and some of it was just plain ignorant comments. It's no surprise that most of us focused on our health and fitness -- especially weight loss -- are tired of hearing how we should be doing things. These are the most annoying comments on the long list.



When are you going to be done?




This is the one that I get the most. I get it, people who aren't on the same journey don't understand it. They think that once I reach some goal, whether it be the number on the scale or a certain size jeans, that I will be "done" and go back to my normal life. This is not how it works. Unless you are a fan of yo-yo dieting and fad diets, this won't give you the outcome you want. I know that in order to maintain my new health and improved body, I have to keep this up as my new healthy lifestyle. Not only do I look better, but I feel better and I know I am so much healthier than I was when I was morbidly obese.



You can eat whatever you want if you just work out.




Can you hear that? That's just me banging my head against the wall. BELIEVE me, if I could have my goal body by working out everyday while being able to eat whatever I wanted, I would be ALL over that. Unfortunately, that's not how my body works. Sure, there are definitely people who can eat whatever they want, work out, and not gain a pound. I am envious of these people, but it is what it is. I know that weight loss is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. I know that I HAVE to keep my nutrition on point, along with working out, in order to lose weight and tone my body.



Life is short, just eat what you want!




You are SO right, life IS short. So what makes you think eating whatever I want will give me a better quality of life? I have been there, I have ate whatever I wanted and do you know what kind of life that gave me? I was morbidly obese. My life quality was very low. I had no energy, I felt sluggish, I craved the nastiest food -- because that is what my body was used to. Aside from that, I was severely self conscious about my body, so I kept to myself and rarely tried new things. I was so worried about being judged and ridiculed for my weight, so I kept in my comfort zone for years. After losing over 100 pounds, my life has gotten SO much better. I try new things, and even better, I never even worry about my body anymore. I never imagined there would be a time that I wouldn't be so insecure. Life is too short to be worrying about your love handles and cellulite.



Don't get TOO skinny



Hearing someone say I am TOO thin is something I never dreamed of. Much to my surprise, it has happened -- more than once! I am definitely not, let me assure you, but apparently not everyone thinks that. Is that even a thing though, being too thin? I never heard anyone tell me, "don't get TOO fat!" (Aside from my doctor, of course.) Everyone is always so quick to judge those that are trying to better their health and their bodies, and don't even think twice about those who are gaining an unhealthy amount of weight. I am all for being proud of our bodies, no matter the size, but that doesn't give anyone the right to judge those who are trying to be healthy.



If you say one of these things to me, and my head explodes, don't say I didn't warn you. Maybe I am plain old fed up, maybe I am carb-deprived, or maybe I am just crazy (it's a toss up, really). Instead of judging and criticizing those of us on a health and weight loss journey, how about offer some words of encouragement. Even though it might look easy from the outside, I guarantee you, it's not!



To keep up with Gabrielle on her journey, follow here at My Life on a Whim.



-----------------




If you're struggling with an eating disorder, call the National Eating Disorder Association hotline at 1-800-931-2237.

-- This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment